We are launching a new round of secondment opportunities for competition lawyers, to start on 1 September 2021.
Since its launch in June 2018, more than 30 secondees from over 20 law firms have taken part in the programme and we are now accepting applications for the next round which will start on 1 September 2021.
We invite you to consider whether your firm and any of your associates wish to participate.
The deadline for applications is Monday 28 June 2021 and you can find out more below.
We believe our programme offers an exciting opportunity for competition lawyers:
- the 6 month programme encompasses work across all of our competition law functions, and is designed to offer a structured insight into the workings of the CMA
- secondees have the opportunity to work within one or more of the CMA’s Legal Service, Policy, Mergers, Competition Act, Digital Markets and Internal Market functions, under the supervision of senior CMA lawyers
- secondees form an integral part of our multi-disciplinary teams and have the opportunity to play a key role in delivering the CMA’s aims and strategic goals through casework or wider legal and policy work
- we hope that this opportunity to work with us at the CMA will prove particularly valuable to both the secondee and their firm on their return to private practice
Secondments are open to all UK and EU qualified lawyers currently employed in a law firm, and with previous experience working on competition law matters.
- we offer secondees a range of work suitable for their level of experience and to provide training as part of the role
- our secondments last for 6 months with two intakes annually on a rolling basis
- the CMA will contribute a flat rate to the cost of secondees, with further details available on request
Firms that would like to put candidates forward should email a CV and covering letter for each candidate by Monday 28 June 2021 to Ronan Flanagan, Jenny Coombes, Nigel Machin and Amy Batchelor (at the contact details set out below).
As part of their covering letter, candidates should confirm that they are able to start their secondment on 1 September 2021 for a 6 month period.
They should also express any preference for particular types of work within the CMA which we will do our best to accommodate, including with a view to maximising a firm’s exposure to different CMA tools among their associates seconded over time.
Candidates should be available to have a meeting or call with the CMA during the weeks of either 5 July 2021 or 12 July 2021 to discuss the secondment.
Please note we will not accept applications from agencies.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the benefits of the programme, please contact any of Ronan Flanagan, Jenny Coombes, Nigel Machin or Amy Batchelor.
Contact details for secondment programme queries:
Legal Director, email@example.com 020 3738 6142
Legal Director, firstname.lastname@example.org 020 3738 6445
Legal Adviser, email@example.com 020 3738 6080
Legal Adviser, firstname.lastname@example.org 020 3738 6083